The future of logistics rests on the 6Rs. This was the central theme for the MIPIM 2022 Logistics Afternoon, which took place in Cannes on 17 March.
The workshop allowed for plenty of room for discussion – if not so much time for rest and relaxation (that came later, at the MIPIM Awards Ceremony).
In addition to a full room of participants, the workshop was attended by seven Masters students from the rising generation of new real estate professionals, as part of MIPIM’s educational partnership with London Business School
Karina Sukhanenya (MBA 2022) was one of the students writing the report for the Logistics Afternoon. Prior to joining the MBA programme, Sukhanenya was assistant vice president at Pacific Star Group, where she led the real estate investment and development teams in Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.
The opening keynote of the MIPIM 2022 Logistics Afternoon was made by Alexandre Gallo, CEO, DB Cargo France, who talked about why rail freight was the future for Europe, rather than road or air.
His keynote was particularly relevant given the signing the previous month of the European Railway Pact by over 30 railway companies from across Europe. The pact aims, among other objectives, to make rail more sustainable.
Gallo’s keynote was followed by a panel discussion about the 6Rs of the future of logistics:
- REINDUSTRALISATION – reshoring to Europe.
- RENEWABLES – the implications of the Green Deal, and more.
- REPLENISHMENT – the ‘S’ of ESG.
- RESILIENCE – from inventory to operations, and infrastructure and upgrade costs.
- RESOURCES – the biggest “pain point” for the industry: labour shortages.
- REVITALISATION – the redevelopment of old industrial sites.
Thomas Steinmüller, CEO of CapTen AG, moderated the panel of speakers, who included:
- James Fisher, strategic relationship lead – real estate, BRE Group
- Joseph Ghazal, chief investment officer – Europe, Prologis
- Raimund Paetzmann, VP corporate real estate, Zalando SE
- Damien Soler, group key account director, BMI Group
The panel was followed by six roundtable discussions on each of the 6Rs. Table moderators included Salvi Cals, MD of Panattoni; Natali Cooper, MD, head of portfolio & asset management & ESG – Europe at GLP; Guy Gueirard, EMA logistics lead & global lead logistics occupier services, JLL; Vincent Sadé, head of leasing & capital deployment, Prologis; and Christian Tretiak, head of development & letting, Germany, P3 Logistic Parks.
Download the free 17-page report written by LBS students to find out more about what was discussed at the Logistics Afternoon at MIPIM 2022. Fill out the form to download this exclusive content for free >>>
You may also be interested in: